Monday, January 26, 2009

Taper Time

Another good week with speedwork, long run, and everything in-between. Went back to FATS on an overcast day with a focus on nutrition. Figs, peanut butter filled pretzels, and Perpetuem sustained my energy level on a happy tummy after 36 miles. The last 6 miles I ran at a comfortable 8:30 min/mile pace on a roller coaster of a trail, and still had plenty in the tank. Unfortunately, I got a late start and darkness (didn’t bring light gear) ended my quality time with nature. Didn’t think I would be saying this, but I actually enjoyed my speedwork with 8X800 repeats at 3:00 min per clip. My 10 mile tempo run felt smooth under a star covered sky also. Amazing how you can struggle for 2-3 weeks and then it all comes together and you feel like your ready for anything.
Time to start throttling back and get my mind wrapped around RR. I hear it has been hotter then usual in TX, which would not be a surprise based on my past races. I have a habit of bringing the heat with me. Thanks everyone who posted a comment on my last entry. It’s comforting to be assured and reinforced by my Ultra-running friends.
TAB

2 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Hey Tom thanks for your comment on the 24 hour mark... looks like your learning a lot like me and we are going through the ULTRA process/journey.

I have had crazy battles with nutrition or lack of until I went ALL Liquids/gels I noticed you do mostly solid foods, have you ever tried BOOST or RED Bull? for those extra quick calories for the second half of the race...and what about energy gels? soooo many people can handle the solid foods at the aid stations but I had to go completely away from that, but it works well for me :-)

anyways, if you can mix in some liquid type of fuel and it doesn't bother you I really think that will give u that extra kick during the second half to reach 24.

Happy Tapering!

Julianne said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!! I'm glad to have found yours, too. I would love to do an ultra one day... I'm just such a chicken!! Maybe you'll gimme some needed inspiration. :-)