Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Years

Hope everybody had a great Christmas and making plans for a safe New Years. With the time off from work, I’ve got some really good runs in and averaging 9 miles a night. Here are a few pics from my X-Mass eve run.

I also got a great long run in Monday with four hours on soft sand covered forest service roads and two hours on a 3 mile dirt track loop. The trail was not marked very well and found myself at times running through pine trees, washed-out ditches, and along ponds. I actually enjoyed almost getting lost a few times and using my instincts and sense of direction to navigate back to the trails. I was not worried because I could run in any direction for 10 miles and would hit a major road.





My biggest concern was looking like bambi and getting shot by an impatient hunter. Thankfully, that was not the case.
I ran into another runner out doing an easy 3 mile jog and asked him about the trails in this area. He was a soldier who enjoyed getting out a few times a week to keep in shape. He asked what I was doing with my waist pack and extra water bottles and I told him I was doing a long run and need to carry my nutritional needs and water. He was intrigued and said he heard of ultra runners and started asking all the typical questions we normally get. He had a hard time wrapping his mind around running a race for 24 hours or more non stop. He thought we ran each day and sleep all night until 100 miles was reached. We shook hands and wished each other luck. I also ran up on an Army helicopter which was used for training (Fort Gordon - Army) at one time.

The six hour long run felt great (33-36 miles) and getting reconnected with nature even better. After daily runs on paved roads, dodging cars, barking dogs, and houses, the woods are so much more peaceful – relaxing – and cleans the soul out of the daily activities. The end of this perfect day was a large pepperoni and mushroom pizza waiting for me when I got home.
Dec 28th I turned another year older and my wife and kids took me out to one of my favorite Italian restaurant. The ironic part is I feel a year younger and in the best shape of my life. I can’t wait to see what next year brings! When I look back on 08, I realized there are so many blessings to be thankful for. I could summarize but would take too much time between family, soldiers and sailors fighting for us, police and firefighters protecting us, and all the good peoples doing the right thing when put in a situation to help someone.
Today was spent being a drill sergeant (Chief in my case) and getting most of the decorations down. My two kids were troopers and got everything done I asked them to do. They did much better then I would have at their age. My wife spent most of the day getting everything ready for New Years Eve and New Years day feast for the family at our house.
That’s it for now. I have a two hour window which I can get a good 10 miles in and cleaned-up in time before all the New Years Eve activities start.
Wishing everybody a safe New Years. Don’t worry about the resolutions for next year – Just make up your mind and do what ever it is you want to do. No excuses, no set date, and no stopping. Internalize it, believe it, set a realistic goal, and don’t stop until you get there. You may be surprised at what you can accomplish if you just believe and give yourself a chance.
TAB

No comments: