Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

It has been a tough two weeks with all the Christmas activities, Hell week, and Training week. Hell week is the four day / 13 hr work day at work leaving little for anything else. Training week at work was exceptionally difficult with bi-annual written exam which was very stressful and challenging. Operating a nuclear power plant requires a special license, and we are constantly tested in the simulator, in plant JPMs, and written exams to ensure we can handle any calculated emergency.
This is very important to ensure the safety of the public, but most demanding when tested every five weeks. And if this is not enough, we are also fire brigade qualified (Fire Team Captain) to provide immediate response and save life. Last Thursday was annual live fire training, which is a lot of fun when taking on the transformer fire. We also have a two story burn building for rescuing practice.
Unfortunately, my running schedule has got behind, and my weekly mileage has been low. Today I did make it out for a two hour hard run while Josh had wrestling practice, and it felt great. It was a breezy low 30s, and the cold air was refreshing as I was able to push myself to burn off some of that extra energy built-up from the past couple of weeks. I can’t make up for lost training miles, but with the next two weeks off from work, I plan to get back on schedule. I miss physically pushing myself and going to bed tired. Lately it has been more of a mentally draining feeling and not getting a good nights rest. I did make it out for a couple late night runs and it was magical with all the Christmas lights.
Wishing my family and friends a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
PS: Send snow.

1 comment:

Ronda said...

wow, that looks serious and important. Long days! I would love to send you some of our snow. We are not handling it well here in the PNW. Merry Christmas to you and your family.